About Michigan Women's Marketplace
The Michigan Women’s Marketplace (MWM) is Michigan’s premiere online women’s business education and information center. This center – comprised of a directory of women business owners, a calendar of events (see Happenings) and a list of business resources – can be a catalyst in generating business-to-business opportunities, strategic alliances, mutual mentoring relationships and discussions on issues common to all women business owners. By creating the most comprehensive directory of Michigan women-owned businesses, the MWM can reach a greater number of women business owners and inform them of a variety of services and business opportunities provided by the women business organizations throughout Michigan; and women business organizations can use the MWM to generate greater visibility for their organizations.
The Michigan Women's Marketplace (www.miwomen.com) was developed to assist women business owners grow their businesses through networking, training opportunities and enhanced business visibility through the directory.
How We Got Started
The Michigan Women's Marketplace (www.miwomen.com) (MWM), is an initiative of the Great Lakes Women's Business Council and is sponsored by the Small Business Administration (SBA), General Motors Company and Comerica Bank.
MWM was designed to help women-owned businesses grow. The original site was a virtual mall where women sold their products and services through the Marketplace. It was intended that, by having multiple products online, each vendor would receive additional business just because of the traffic – similar to a physical mall.
Over the years, MWM has evolved into a first-class women's information and education site, with multiple partners and associates providing a wealth of information to help maintain and grow our women businesses.
On the MWM site you will find:
- The Women's Business Directory, which offers an opportunity for a woman-owned business to register and receive additional business from online visitors seeking to do business with women. The directory also provides a forum for women to make connections for networking.
- The Training Center, consists of live and recorded webinars, articles on many business topics, as well as a list of business tools and resource links for further research. The Webinars cover subjects to help you with your business. Visit the Training Center for upcoming and recorded webinars.
- The Recommended Reading section with many categories to choose from.
Future MWM Enhancements Include:
More webinars presented by industry experts.
- Ask the Expert section that you can submit questions regarding challenges you have with your business.
- A business social media network for discussions and on-going communications.
- A virtual online tradeshow.
- Our Calendar of Events to include networking and training events offered by nonprofit organizations across the state of Michigan.
- And much more. . .